26 February 2017

Wedding Gift commissions from the groom for his bride

 Commissioned Landscape paintings, all 30x30cm

Looking through my archive of commissioned paintings I came across this collage which I don't think I have posted before.

These four paintings were commissioned as a wedding present from the groom for his new bride. They were all of places that were special to them both.

This was such a sweet and loving gift don't you think?

If you would like to commission a painting of a special place for someone special or why not treat yourself, contact me HERE


23 February 2017

SUNSHINE SMILES Throwback Thursday

Sunshine Smiles Miniature Treasure painting
4x4" on gessoed panel.
Painted with a palette knife.

Sunflowers are one of my favourite flowers, although they are not as easy to paint as you may think.  Getting the right amount of detail and looseness right is a juggling act. I like the way this one turned out, with lots of layers and textures.

How it would look framed in a floating frame

21 February 2017

Off to visit the rhinos and elephants

Coastal Morning
Namibia Impressions Series
50% of proceeds go to Save The Rhino Trust Namibia

As you read this I will be in Namibia visiting the rhinos and elephants again. Or at least I hope so. We were there two years ago at the same time of year - THE RAINY SEASON. That time we were lucky (well for us not the locals) as the drought was in full swing. This meant that the animals would all congregate around the waterholes making it much easier to spot them.

This year the drought has broken and it is much wetter, although it seems to be easing up so we may not get as wet as we first thought! This of course means that the animals will be more widely dispersed and more difficult to spot, but we are still hopeful.

This time round we are taking in the Savuti Channel and going into Chobe national park in Botswana. Keep your fingers croseed for us.
Namibia Impressions Series
Coastal Heat

20 February 2017

SHADY WALK oil painting

Shady Walk
Oil on box canvas
40x50cm (16x20inch)

We visited Hanbury Gardens in Italy, last summer on a blistering hot day. The gardens didn't have any parking and the only parking was on the street It was a long uphill walk to the entrance. Imagine our delight when we found this beautiful shaded pergola.


17 February 2017

The Traveling Chickens have come to the South of France

Guess who flew in today for a visit? Senor Azul and friends. They arrived in a specially chartered jet all the way from America. I was so happy to see them but I was horrified to learn there had been a mishap on the journey and the pilot broke his arm as the plane skidded in to land and also resulting in some propeller damage.

The pilot immediately went into intensive care and the plane to the mechanics workshop.

While the pilot was getting some tender loving care, the chickens went out to stretch their legs in the garden. They were so happy playing around in the sunshine with squawking coming from all around.

To find out what this is all about and to read more fly over to The Traveling Chicken blog


16 February 2017

Distant Shores oil pastel landscape - throwback Thursday

 I used to have 3 painting blogs - my daily painting blog (which changed to the present version), a blog for my florals and a blog for my landscapes. Having three blogs defeated me so I amalgated them into this Joy of Colour blog. In a bit of Nostalgia I was wandering through my landscape blog and came across this one painted about four years ago before I I started using oils. I used oil pastels for a while in the mistaken belief it would be easier than oils.

I reworked it from it's original version thinking about composition and leading your eye through the painting. Looking at it again, I think this might be worth doing again in oils.

Distant Shores Painting by Marion Hedger
Oil Pastel on beige Ingress pastel paper

 "A reworked painting of one I painted as part of the landscape challenge on wetcanvas.com. I added a closer headland and worked some more on the sky.
Here is the original painting"
I hope you think I improved on the original.