04 September 2014

Antibes Walk, day 4 of the 30 day challenge


Antibes Walk
Palette knife painting
Oil on canvas MDF panel
18x24cm (approx 7"x10")
NFS work in progress

A sunny walk in Antibes. I have lots of photos of street scenes from around our local towns and villages, taken in the hope I would paint them someday. But painting street scenes is one of my many 'BĂȘte Noir'. Well, the 30 day challenge is a challenge right?

About this painting
The challenge in this one - apart  from the obvious perspective one - was how to keep it loose and suggestive, avoiding the detail. It soon became apparent that the siz e of my support was too small for the subject. I wiped out some of detail so the focus was on the main flower basket. I also put in the suggestion of the people - another first.

I am not sure that this painting works. I like it on one level, so I will leave it and look at it for a while and maybe make some alterations later. It has made me want to do this scene on a larger scale though and hopefully edged me towards painting townscapes. So objective achieved!

Some close-ups




3 comments:

  1. I like it very much, Marion! It's got a lot of zest for life in it! A lot of zing! Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Robert and Debbie for your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete

I am always pleased receive comments and to discuss my paintings and techniques.