07 January 2015

Work in Progress Japanese Garden - Water and Rocks Day 7, 30 paintings in 30 days


Work in Progress, Japanese garden
24x30cm (approx 10x12inch)
Acrylic on canvas board.

After yesterday I wanted something to do that didn't involve going into the studio and using oils. I opened my studio window to air it, and moved upstairs with my acrylics.

It has been so long since I last used acrylics that I had to re-acquaint myself with them. I also found many of my acrylics had dried up after being neglected for so long, leaving me with only a few usable acrylics. I had no alazarin crimson and only a very bright ultramarine, a yellow and sap green and white. My normal acrylics are Winsor and Newton which are quite thick, but apart from the green, the rest were from a mixture of brands much more liquid. My initial idea was to use my palette knifes, but the paint was far too fluid. It was also very transparent. I gradually built up the layers and I can see the painting starting to emerge. I remember the maxim "The good thing about acrylics is that they dry fast. The bad thing is that they dry fast!". I ran out of light so could not finish.

A close-up

10 comments:

  1. Marion, I am laughing at you with your comments about "the good thing is..." and "the bad thing is". I am amazed that acrylics can be used at all. But I have them all, plus all types of watercolor, and oil paints. I did sell my pastels though. I could have started a corporation with the money I have spent on trying this and that! Now about your "Japanese Garden". I love it, yep, love it. You didn't need AC to pull this painting together. I would love to sit in this spot and experience the peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your comments too, particularly because I brought out my old acrylics for the challenge to do my underpaintings since they dry in 10 minutes. To my surprise, after so many years that I can't remember using them, they were still wet!.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried the Golden Open acrylics? They dry slower but not as slow as oils. I used to use them for plein air before I switched to oils.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even if this is unfinished I like it the way it is. When I do progress photos as I sometimes do on my blog, I often look back and think I should have left it right there. Do you get that?

    Thank you for joining the ART PARTY on my blog. I'm enjoying your rocks and as you see I did some rocks today. Must be your influence. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have my acrylic sympathy! I am an oil painter at heart, but have switched to acrylics for this challenge as I am concentrating on mixed media. Found the same thing with dried up tubes and the layering, but I think we might be reaching some sort of understanding now.

    Your paintings are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carol - you forgot about colored pencils! I started in watercolor but found that wasn't for me (my creations were never the same as the ones in my head) then I painted in acrylics and pastels - I love pastels and I think they are my favourite medium but the dust did not agree with me so I had to give them up. I then looked for alternatives and tried coloured pencil, oil pastel etc. All have their pluses and minuses. I had a mental block about oils but when I tried them I found they were not as difficult as in I imagined. Now they are my favs but I get very messy when using them! I still have a need to experiment though so have just bought some watercolour pens - lets see how I do with them! Thanks for you comments - it was a captivating place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beverly thank you. I found a some more today in a box, a few are still usable. They are some of my W&N ones so maybe will give me more coverage than the one I am using.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sharon, I have though about the open acrylics and trying to stop my urge to buy them. I have not painted in acrylics for a long time so it wouldn't be worthwhile for me, but perhaps....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sea - thanks, but this is one of those cases where the photo is better than the painting, although I must admit, I am more pleased with it than I thought I would be. Did some more today but not pleased on how it's going.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rolina, thanks for commenting. I have so many things that I will/cannot use again in the studio but even when I have a cleanout it looks no different. But I am getting more ruthless throwing out the occasional bit now and again LOL.

    ReplyDelete

I am always pleased receive comments and to discuss my paintings and techniques.