18 May 2015

Spring Vines in Provence oil pastel painting

Spring Vines in Provence
Oil Pastel landscape painting
20x15cm (approx 8x6")
On black card coated with pastel ground

It's always a nice drive through the vineyards and one of my favourite things to do. In the spring time the bright greens give a lively impression bursting with life full of promise for the next harvest.

About this painting
I coated the card with colorfix primer which gives the surface a tooth that the oil pastel can grip onto. It allows layering with the oil pastels without mixing.

I used harder pastels, mostly galleria to begin and finished off using Sennelier oil pastels. The Senneliers are soft and buttery and 'sit' on top of the harder pastel.

How it would look framed

2 comments:

  1. This is just beautiful! I've got a box of oil pastels and was never quite sure how to use them. Thank you for sharing your process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Chris. Best advice I can give you is to start with thin layers. You can create a think wash for the first layer by lightly laying in the colour and washing it in with Liquin. Also you need a support with some tooth, but not too much as it eats the pastel.

    ReplyDelete

I am always pleased receive comments and to discuss my paintings and techniques.