18 January 2017

Quick Getaway Abstract, Day 18 of 30 paintings challenge

QUICK GETAWAY
Acrylic abstract painting
Day 18 of Jan 2017 30 paintings challenge
Click Here to see Day 17's painting
I started off this painting with the idea of a smooth middle section and highly textured top and bottom section. I ripped some NOT watercolour paper to give bevelled edges and used that as the middle strip.
I created a vertical texture in the top third and a slanted texture with a palette knife at the bottom. This gave a large area at the bottom but it all had a similar texture, so, again with the palette knife, I made one part rougher than the rest. Again, to break up the remaining larger bottom left hand section I put in circles of white paint in a diagonal direction. This is where it was at the end of the day.

The textured area was not as textured as I wanted but decided to see what I could do with it. I added more colours at the top, spritzing it a little in the hope that it would pool at the top of the ripped paper. I did the same with the lower rough areas using stronger paint. The colours I used were  Quinacridone nickel azo gold and teal and I was mindful that I wanted a muted effect. Staying with these two colours, I added circles to link the upper and lower sections using a bottle top. I needed some smaller circles but could not find anything to use. My husband came to the rescue with a ring spanner, et voilĂ  the painting was finished (I think!).

After looking at it for a while I saw a ski slope with skiers queing up to ski down. What do you see?

Close-ups of the texture

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always pleased receive comments and to discuss my paintings and techniques.